August 7, 2022
Elise Jones, Southwest Energy Efficiency Project (SWEEP)
[DENVER, CO] – Elise Jones, Executive Director of the Southwest Energy Efficiency Project (SWEEP), issued the following statement celebrating the United States Senate’s passage of the Inflation Reduction Act:
“On behalf of the people of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming, I sincerely thank the U.S. Senate for voting to advance the Inflation Reduction Act today.
This bill contains the largest investments in energy efficiency in American history. Adopting it will deliver meaningful benefits to all of us, including:
- Making our homes and workplaces more comfortable and efficient;
- Cutting energy and transportation costs;
- Reducing our dependence on foreign oil and increasing energy security;
- Creating good-paying jobs;
- Advancing equity, including in both rural and urban communities; and
- Cutting pollution, protecting both our health and our climate.
This bill can and will unlock substantial energy bill savings. For example, think tank Rewiring America estimates that a household could save $1,800 per year on energy through programs in this bill that will help families:
- Switch to an electric vehicle;
- Install a modern electric heat pump to heat and cool their homes and provide hot water; and
- Put solar panels on their roof.
We urge the House to quickly move to final passage, and hope that President Biden will immediately sign the bill. We look forward to working with state and local leaders across our region to implement the bill and maximize its benefits.”
The Southwest Energy Efficiency Project (SWEEP) is a public interest organization promoting greater energy efficiency and clean transportation in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. swenergy.org