Working in New Mexico to advance energy efficiency improvements and the fast adoption of electric vehicles.
The Southwest Energy Efficiency Project’s (SWEEP) team in New Mexico works to help communities harness the economic advantages of better energy efficiency and clean transportation programs for a state with cleaner and healthier air, lower energy costs, and protection for its most climate vulnerable citizens.
*Savings and benefits data preliminary as of spring 2023.
Our work in New Mexico
SWEEP, in collaboration with coalition partners, has helped advance important efforts in New Mexico to lower utility bills and improve the comfort and safety of homes in underserved communities, spur adoption of electric vehicles (EVs), and incentivize New Mexicans to adopt efficiency improvements. These include:
- Adoption of the Clean Cars Standards to require the sale of less-polluting cars and an increasing percentage of EVs.
- Passage of an innovative measure to fund energy efficiency improvements in underserved communities with high energy burdens, in partnership with local community groups.
- Field studies and technical support to ensure building energy codes are achieving the desired efficiency results.
Resources and publications
This year, SWEEP will be working to build on our past successes to further reduce climate pollution and energy costs for homes and businesses across New Mexico. Our priorities include:
- Increased funding for energy efficiency services and reduced utility bills for low-income New Mexicans.
- More robust standards to improve the energy efficiency of appliances and promote cleaner lighting.
State rules to accelerate the adoption of electric passenger vehicles and trucks.
- Expansion of utility programs to support customers in adopting efficiency and electrification improvements.
- Adoption of the most up-to-date building energy codes, along with provisions to ensure homes and businesses are wired to support future EVs and appliances.
SWEEP New Mexico staff
New Mexico Representative
Senior Program Manager
Federal Funding Implementation Coordinator
Support our work
Supporting SWEEP’s work in New Mexico allows us to help communities harness the economic advantages of better energy efficiency and clean transportation programs for a state with cleaner and healthier air, lower energy costs, and protection for its most climate vulnerable citizens.