Kennecott Land is working with the city of South Jordan to plan a large-scale mixed-use development on 4,126 acres. The plan provides for nearly 14,000 residential units as well as commercial development, making the Daybreak community the largest master-planned community in the history of Utah. Kennecott Land is the only land developer in the nation to be certified with the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
ENERGY STAR® HOMES
Kennecott is requiring that all homes built in the Daybreak Community be ENERGY STAR® certified. These homes incorporate reduced air leakage, low thermal conductivity windows, improved insulation, and high efficiency heating and cooling systems.
COMMUNITY CENTER AND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
- LEED Silver certification in 2006
- Features energy-efficient design, natural lighting, and reduced water consumption
- Ground-source heat pump saves Daybreak Elementary School $0.25 per square foot in heating costs compared to what other schools in the Jordan School District pay.
- Homeowner Savings: $200-$400 in annual utility bill savings
- Environmental Benefits: 14,000 ENERGY STAR® housing units will yield around 30,000 tons of avoided carbon dioxide emissions each year, or nearly 1 million tons over 30 years. This is equivalent to taking about 6,700 passenger cars off the road.